Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Decisions

It always used to surprise me how my 'must have traits' list changed every time someone asked what kind of a life partner I want (well, Aish is officially now Abhishek's so I do need to look for someone else). And then one day suddenly it dawned to me that the problem is not with me but with the question itself.

How can I say for sure that I will be compatible with this kind of a person and not compatible with the other kind? (That being said I am sure I will be damn happy spending my life with Aish, but what effect does my wanting have on my chances of getting her is a pertinent question in itself). But keeping the question aside for a while, to ascertain with confidence that one can be happy with someone having so and so qualities and so and so nature is not merely difficult but next to impossible.

Not only that, the whole idea of defining 'must-have traits' is totally impractical. How many times in our lives we have made friends keeping certain parameters in mind? We have rarely I guess.

But as I say this and easily shift the complete blame of not being sure about what I want in life (and in my life-partner), I have come to realize this one thing. That throughout our life we analyze and counter analyze things. We try to conclude whether this thing will make us happy or that thing. And especially when you are an MBA your analysis becomes even more complex. Involving various useless tools and factors like cost-benefit analysis, dependency factor, risk analysis etc etc. which is nothing but bullshit ways of deferring the decisions that you do not want to take.

But life's all about making decisions. And we forget that this faculty of analysis is there for helping us in avoiding wrong decisions. Not for avoiding decisions altogether.

No comments: